[Colloq] Talk by John Day, Monday, July 11, 1pm

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jul 7 11:45:00 EDT 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
John Day

Who will speak on:
A Primer on Naming and Addressing

Monday, July 11, 2005
1:00 pm

Today’s Internet has some severe problems that can be traced to issues
of naming and addressing.  Naming and Addressing has always been one of
the most difficult and least understood topics in networking.  This
presentation will review how we got to this juncture and then use two
important papers Shoch [1] and Saltzer [2] to analyze the requirements
of a network addressing architecture and the implications of following
their advice.  In the process, we will develop some of the fundamental
properties of naming and addressing. Note how these results point to
solutions to many of the problems confronting us today and consider what
these principles tell us about existing architectures. The conclusions
are somewhat unexpected.

1.	Shoch, John F. “Internetwork Naming, Addressing, and Routing,” IEEE
Proc. COMPCON Fall 1978, pp. 72-79.

2.	Saltzer, Jerry. “On the Naming and Binding of Network Destinations”
in Local Computer Networks, edited by P. Ravasio et al. P North-Holland
Publishing Company, pp 311-317, 1982, republished as RFC 1498.

Host: Agnes Chan