[Colloq] Reminder: PhD Thesis Proposal, Rui Wang, Today, 2pm, June 17

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jun 17 12:14:16 EDT 2005

College of Computer and Information Science

PhD Thesis Proposal:
Rui Wang

Title:
Recovery for Service-Oriented Applications

Friday, June 17, 2005
2:00pm

The fact that computer system failures cannot be completely prevented
makes recovery an unavoidable choice for high availability. Among all
fault tolerant techniques, log-based rollback recovery is relatively
cheap yet provides effective recovery upon failures. In this proposal,
we study log-based rollback recovery for service-oriented applications
such as Web services, which involve multithreading, shared in-memory
data access, consistency among applications and consistency with
transactional resources. We first make a complete survey of the existing
work, then describe the architecture of service-oriented applications,
advance the recovery goals for such applications and finally outline the
features of our solution.

Thesis proposal committee:
Prof. Betty Salzberg (advisor)
Prof. Donghui Zhang