[Colloq] Gualing Chen, Monday, April 25

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 20 11:28:30 EDT 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Guanling Chen
Dartmouth College

Who will speak on:
Wireless LAN: Measurement and Analysis

Monday, April 25, 2005
12:00 noon

Wireless LANs are increasingly deployed because they are convenient,
flexible, and relatively cheap. The ubiquitous wireless coverage enables
anytime and anywhere information access and user interactions. In this
talk, I will first describe the measurement data we have collected from
a production wireless network deployed at Dartmouth College. Currently
we have more than 550 access points (APs) covering the whole campus and
we are moving toward 1000+ AP deployment. The availability of this
measurement data has enabled many exciting research efforts in different
fields. I will present analysis results of users' frequent and periodic
movement patterns on campus, which could be used to build better
mobility model, to detect network anomalies, and to predict user
movement.  If time permits, I will also briefly discuss some other
analysis results. This is a joint work with Dartmouth wireless team led
by David Kotz.

Bio:
Guanling Chen currently is an I3P Postdoctoral Fellow at Dartmouth
College and will join Department of Computer Science at University of
Massachusetts Lowell in the Fall. His research interests include
wireless networks, pervasive systems, and cyber security. He completed
his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Dartmouth College in 2004.

Host: Peter Tarasewich