[Colloq] PhD Thesis Proposal, Huanmei Wu, March 17

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Mar 11 14:50:17 EST 2005

College of Computer and Information Science
PhD Thesis Proposal:  Structured Time Series Stream Data

SPEAKER:  Huanmei Wu
TIME:   Thursday, March 17, 2:00pm
PLACE:  366 West Village H
Advisor:   Betty Salzberg

Management of time series stream data is an important technique for
database, networks, operating systems, and theoretical research.
Analysis of time series stream data is widely used for many applications
such as economic forecasting, stock market analysis, budgetary analysis,
nd workload projects.

We have developed a framework to achieve these objectives. The framework
composes (a) a piecewise linear model and finite state automaton which
captures the internal structure of a time series stream data, (b) an
online segmentation and pruning algorithm which produces the piecewise
linear representation of raw stream data in real-time, (c) an online
subsequence matching engine which generates dynamic query subsequences,
defines application specific subsequence similarity measures and
performs similarity matching with consideration of the internal
structure of the time series and (d) statistical and probabilistic
techniques which analyze similarity matching results for many specific
applications, such as motion characterization, future prediction,
correlation discovery and clustering.

Our approach covers all application domains with structured time series
stream data. Our techniques can be used for real-time systems where
response time is critical. We have applied the framework to multiple
problem domains, such as financial data analysis and tumor respiratory
motion characterization (used in cancer radiation treatment).