[Colloq] Hiring Talk - Monday, March 7 - Carlos Jensen, Georgia Tech

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 23 15:01:22 EST 2005

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Carlos Jensen
Georgia Institute of Technology

Who will speak on:
Challenges and Directions in Privacy-Aware Design

Monday, March 7, 2004
10:30am

Computer privacy, especially online, is an increasingly important
concern for users, and a difficult challenge for businesses facing
increasing regulatory and public scrutiny. System designers face the
difficult task of not only ensuring that user information is adequately
protected, but also that users can adequately understand and control
their exposure to risks. To address these concerns, we need to learn how
users think and reason about privacy, and include privacy as a
requirement in design. In the past, researchers have advocated using
guidelines and heuristics to both identify problems and suggest design
solutions. I describe and discuss current design guidelines and
heuristics, and the reasons why, despite great interest and need, they
have failed to make an impact on today’s design practices. I will
present STRAP, a novel analysis framework for the structured analysis of
privacy in design. In STRAP, I combine elements of goal-oriented
analysis with heuristics to address many of the problems identified with
previous frameworks. I show how this method can be used to perform a
more thorough analysis and derive better design solutions. I will also
present a number of studies I have conducted that examine how users
think about privacy and the problems they face in managing risks, and
how these conflict with current privacy practices and interface designs.
I conclude by presenting a set of interface design guidelines for
next-generation privacy awareness and management interfaces.

Bio:
Carlos Jensen is a Ph.D. candidate at the College of Computing and GVU
Center at the Georgia Institute of Technology, specializing in the study
of Human-Computer Interaction and Privacy. The focus of his research is
on understanding how system design affects decision making, especially
in the areas of privacy, trust, and online communities. He is a member
of the Personal Policy Lab at Georgia Tech, and The Privacy Place
consortium.

Host: Peter Tarasewich