[Colloq] Reminder - Colloquium **NOW** 366 WVH - Miroslaw Kutylowski

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Oct 1 15:29:43 EDT 2004

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents
Miroslaw Kutylowski
Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland

who will speak on:
Adversary Immune Communication Algorithms in Ad Hoc Networks

Friday, October 1, 2004
3:30pm

ABSTRACT

We consider self-organization algorithms for ad-hoc networks with a
single, shared communication channel.  In such networks messages sent by
different units at the same time collide and no message comes through.
We even assume that collisions in the shared channel cannot be detected
by the stations participating in the self-organization protocol (no-CD
model).

Most of the algorithms constructed so far disregard the fact that faults
can occur in the radio channel, or even worse, an adversary can send
messages aiming to cause collisions and in this way degrade
functionality of the network.  So we are interested in algorithms that
work in the presence of an adversary, who knows the algorithm executed
and may try to disturb its execution or to make it faulty.  Usually,
parallel algorithms have certain ``hot spots'', where some crucial
messages are exchanged.  This gives opportunities for an adversary, who
may attack only these hot spots. So, we have to reconsider design of
self-organization algorithms of such networks. Ideally, such algorithms
should be homogeneous in the sense that there are no volnurable points
in the algorithm execution.

We present an initialization algorithm which assigns consecutive numbers
to N participating units.  Our algorithm has time complexity O(N) and
energy cost O(sqrt(log(N)).  It succeeds with probability
1-2^(Omega(sqrt(log(N)))) in presence of an adversary, who has energy
cost Theta(log(N)). (Joint work with W. Rutkowski.)

Host: Rajmohan Rajaraman