[Colloq] Reminder: Talk TODAY, 12:00 noon, Ram Ramanathan, 149 CN

Rachel Bates rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 7 09:42:04 EDT 2004

The College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium presents:

Ram Ramanathan
BBN Technologies

Title: Ad Hoc Networking with Directional Antennas

Wednesday, April 7, 2004
12:00 noon
149 Cullinane Hall

Abstract:

Research in ad hoc networking has implicitly assumed the use of
omni-directional antennas at the physical layer. This results in a
severe limitation on the network capacity. By focusing energy only in
the intended direction, directional antennas have the potential to
significantly increase both the spatial reuse and the communication
range, which can result in a tremendous improvement in network
capacity, reduced latency and better connectivity. Exploiting this
potential, however, requires a number of innovations at the medium
access and network layers of typical ad hoc networks.

In this talk, we first discuss a simulation-based analysis of  the
magnitude of the performance improvement that directional antennas can
provide, and throw some light on the factors such improvement depends
upon. We then describe the problems faced in the development of ad hoc
networks with directional antennas and describe some solutions
developed at BBN. We also briefly describe a real-life prototype 20
node ad hoc network with directional antennas, and our experiences with
it.

The talk is intended for a general audience. No prior knowledge of
directional antennas is necessary, and for the most part only a basic
knowledge of computer networks is assumed. Time permitting, the talk
will be  succeeded by a brief description of the current research
directions in our department at BBN.

Bio:
Ram Ramanathan is a Division Scientist at BBN Technologies. He received
his BTech from the IIT, Madras, in 1985 and his M.S and Ph.D from the
University of Delaware, in 1989 and 1992 respectively. Dr. Ramanathan's
research interests at present are focused on mobile ad hoc wireless
networking, including opportunistic spectrum access, topology control,
beamforming antennas, medium access control. Ram has served on the
steering committees and program committees of several conferences
including MobiCom and MobiHoc. He serves on the editorial board of Ad Hoc

Networks journal. He has won the best student paper award at Sigcomm 1992,
the best paper award at Infocom 1996 and best classified paper at Milcom
2002.