[Colloq] **Talk** Monday, March 10, 10:30am

Rachel Bates rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:41:17 EST 2003

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

presents
Banu Özden
Director, Computing Systems Research
Bell Labs Research

  who will speak on:
QoS Support in Operating Systems

Monday, March 10, 2003
10:30am
149 Cullinane Hall
Northeastern University

ABSTRACT
The need to provide Quality of Service (QoS) guarantees for server
applications (e.g., web servers, video servers) is pacing the development of
flexible operating system resource management. The operating system support
for QoS will become even more crucial in data centers of service providers,
which will offer computing and storage services.
In this talk, I will present our approach for providing a flexible,
fine-grained resource management, its implementation in the EclipseBSD
operating system, and a set of experiments to demonstrate the soundness of
our approach. Our work is based on four key elements: i) the use of
hierarchical, proportional-share resource schedulers, ii) the notion of a
“reservation” and its implementation in the /reserv file system, iii) a
tagging mechanism for the association of reservations with schedulable
operations, and iv) an access and admission control scheme which leads to a
new and useful notion of “reservation domain.”