[Colloq] **Colloquium Talk** Monday, January 27, 2pm

Rachel Bates rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 27 11:31:18 EST 2003

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium
presents
Ioanis (Yannis) Nikolaidis
Dept. of Computer Science
  University of Alberta

  who will speak on:
the Issue of MANET Energy Efficiency
    using Transmission Power Control

Monday, January 27, 2003
2:00pm
149 Cullinane Hall
Northeastern University

ABSTRACT
The talk will be geared towards the algorithmic aspects of providing
energy-efficient distribution of data in MANETs and broadcast services in
particular. Our free variable is the per-node transmission power
(expressed, equivalently, as the  per-node transmission  radius  or
per-node  transmission coverage).  The transmission radii are directly
related to the energy cost, and the minimization of the global energy cost
is our objective. The underlying problem formulated for static (non-mobile)
instances, has recently been proven to be a computationally hard problem and
several heuristics have been proposed. We will present and compare some of
these heuristics.  Contrary to previous studies, that deal with static
wireless environments, we will then add the mobility dimension and
subsequently refine the schemes such that localized actions (without the
need for  the  expensive  global heuristics  to be re-run) preserve the
network connectivity with out an undue energy penalty. We find out that
unless clever  “repair” actions are performed, the near-optimality of the
previously proposed heuristics results in extremely fragile connectivity.
[As part of the talk, we will also introduce caveats related to the
simulation of MANETs using the Random Waypoint (RWP) mobility model.]

Biography:
Ioanis Nikolaidis is an Assistant Professor with the Computing Science
Department at the University of Alberta. He received his B.Sc. from the
University of Patras, Greece, in 1989 and his M.Sc. and Ph.D.
from the Computer Science Department at Georgia Tech in 1991 and 1994
respectively. During 1995-96 he worked for the European Computer-Industry
Research Center in Munich, Germany. His research interests include
the performance evaluation of computer network protocols.

Host:  Vassilis Tsaoussidis