[Colloq] **Thesis Proposal** Monday, January 27**

Rachel Bates rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:46:02 -0500

Date/Time: Monday January 27,
12:00pm
149 Cullinane Hall

Thesis Proposal:  Receiver-oriented and Measurement-based Transmission
Control
                  in Heterogeneous (Wired/Wireless) Networks

Presenter: Chi Zhang

Committee:
Advisor: Prof. Vassilis Tsaoussidis
Members:
Prof. Ioanis Nikolaidis (University of Alberta)
Prof. Paul Attie
Prof. Gene Cooperman

Abstract

While TCP congestion control is appropriate for applications such as bulk
data transfer over wired networks, its somewhat "blind" AIMD
window-adjustment strategy degrades the throughput over wireless networks
and damages the real-time performance of delay-sensitive applications. In
this talk, I will present my present research on transport protocols for the
next generation internet.

I will first investigate the interrelations of TCP smoothness and
responsiveness by studying the dynamics of friendliness-oriented alpha/beta
tradeoff. I will demonstrate that equation-based transmission adjustments
could guarantee neither efficiency nor friendliness on its own, in
heterogeneous or dynamic environments.

I will then introduce TCP Real, which employs a receiver-oriented and
measurement-based congestion control mechanism that significantly improves
TCP performance for both delay-tolerant and delay-sensitive applications in
heterogeneous networks.

Finally, I will discuss my research plan and future interests.

Biography

Chi Zhang is currently a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at Northeastern
University.
His research interests lie in the area of network protocols, mobile
computing and QoS.
Chi received his B.Sc degree in Electronic Engineering from Shanghai Jiao
Tong
University, P.R.China in 1996. From 1996 to 1998 he was with the Institute
of Image
Processing and Pattern Recognition at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Chi has
published
8 networking papers and 4 image processing papers.