[Colloq] PhD Seminar 11/27 4pm 149CN

Rachel Bates rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:53:35 -0500

PhD Seminar
Tuesday November 27th.
4:00pm 149 Cullinane Hall

Title: Resource Management in Hybrid Wireless Networks & Secure Group
Communication

Abstract:
In this talk we will address the two main topics of our current research.
We will start by describing the challenging problems in the area of hybrid
wireless networks. These networks have both a multi-hop ad hoc component
and an infrastructure component. The purpose of optimal resource management
is to allow an efficient exploitation of the wireless network while
minimizing the usage of radio bandwidth, consumption of energy, and cost of
infrastructure to provide the required quality of service of the wireless
connections. This talk starts by clarifying the constraints in hybrid
wireless networks. We will present also the parameters and trade-offs
available to the designer to achieve efficient resource management (e.g.,
coding, modulation, power-control, multi-hop routing). Finally we will
present our approach based on adapativity and some preliminary results.

The second part of the talk will address the problem of secure group
communication. We will present our previous and recent results for the
problem of key management in large dynamic multicast groups.